Q3 Review: Global Inflight Connectivity
Compared to the first half of 2016, the third quarter saw a slowing of airlines launching new connectivity service, however we are happy to report that airlines already offering inflight connectivity continued to expand their routes as well as types of services available onboard.
It was exciting for us to see the number of airlines which offered live sports in-flight so their passengers could enjoy the Rio Olympics. The tweets posted while onboard were great!
New Launches: No new launches to report for Q3; so we’re still tracking the number of airlines around the world offering connectivity services at 64. We are, however, hoping for some new airlines to launch service in Q4 and will provide updates to our list as they happen.
- On July 13th, United Airlines launched their San Francisco (SFO) to Hangzhou (HGH) route on one of the world’s most advanced passenger aircraft, the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner. This 13 hour flight offers inflight Wi-Fi.
- Alitalia returned to China on July 18th with the re-launch of their Rome (FCO) to Beijing (PEK) route. Passengers can use Wi-Fi connectivity for phone calls, internet, e-mail, and more.
- Singapore Airlines added Johannesburg and Düsseldorf to their A350 offering on June 27th and July 21st. Wi-Fi and mobile phone services are available on board.
- Cathay Pacific Airways became the only airline to offer non-stop flights between London Gatwick Airport and Hong Kong. The A350-900 offers live TV and Wi-Fi on board.
- On September 1st, Aer Lingus launched their Dublin (DUB) to Newark (EWR) A330 route.
- Three airlines expanded their inflight entertainment offerings by adding live television service.
- AeroMexico re-launched live TV on their Boeing 787s. Channels include Sport 24 and CNN International.
- Virgin Atlantic also added live TV on their 787s. Passengers can enjoy Sport 24, BBC News, and CNN International.
- WestJet added Sport 24 and Sport 24 Extra to their already existing live TV service.
- Thai Airways welcomed their first Airbus A350 XWB in Bangkok in late August. In Mid-October, the A350 will begin its international service flying BKK > MEL with Wi-Fi available onboard.
- Hockey fans were excited to learn that live TV channel Sport 24 added the World Cup of Hockey and NHL to their coverage.
- iPass customers will be happy to learn that they have partnered with United Airlines to allow you Wi-Fi access using your account. This is schedule to start in Q4 of this year and expand to United’s fleet of more the 700 aircraft.
As we start the last quarter of 2016 we’ll continue to track the exciting expansion of the availability for passengers to stay connected in-flight as they travel around the world. Be sure to check back frequently, we’ll keep you updated on all the news for global inflight connectivity!
Finally, thanks to our online community of supporters, early in Q3 we reached the milestone of 300,000 Facebook likes. We couldn’t do it without you!
Air France-KLM signs a partnership agreement with Gogo
68 Air France Boeing 777 and 15 Airbus A330 as well as 29 KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Boeing 777 and 12 Airbus A330 will be equipped with WiFi on board starting from end 2017, a total of 124 long-haul aircraft.
Etihad Airways announces deployment of boeing 787 dreamliner on Abu Dhabi – Riyadh route
Etihad Airways is to deploy a Boeing 787 Dreamliner on one of its twice-daily scheduled flights between Abu Dhabi and Riyadh, with effect from 30 October 2016. Etihad Airways currently operates the latest Panasonic eX3 IFE equipment for its B787 inflight entertainment system. Mobile connectivity with access to onboard Wi-Fi and seven satellite channels of live TV are also available.
Sport 24 Coverage Schedule: September 27th – October 3rd
Never miss a moment of live sports action! Sport 24 offers global coverage inflight of sports from all over the world. Available on select airlines and flights.
The big moments ahead:
Atlanta Falcons vs New Orleans Saints
Miami Dolphins vs Cincinnati Bengals
Kansas City Chiefs vs Pittsburgh Steelers
UEFA Champions League
Borussia Dortmund vs Real Madrid
Atletico Madrid vs FC Bayern Munich
Manchester United vs Zorya Luhansk
World Cup of Hockey Final Series (more…)
Sport 24 Coverage Schedule: September 20th – 26th
Sport 24 lets passengers stay in the moment by offering LIVE sports coverage inflight. This week passengers can enjoy watching Bundesliga, Premier League, NFL, NRL, and the World Cup of Hockey!
The big moments ahead:
Philadelphia Eagles vs Chicago Bears
Houston Texans vs New England Patriots
Detroit Lions vs Green Bay Packers
San Francisco 49ers vs Seattle Seahawks
Chicago Bears vs Dallas Cowboys
Manchester United vs Leicester City (more…)
Sport 24 Coverage Schedule: September 13th – 19th
Sport 24 brings passengers LIVE sports coverage in the sky! This week, passengers can enjoy the NFL, Premier League, World Cup of Hockey, and more.
The big moments ahead:
Los Angeles Rams vs San Francisco 49ers
New York Jets vs Buffalo Bills
Cincinnati Bengals vs Pittsburgh Steelers
Seattle Seahawks vs Los Angeles Rams
Green Bay Packers vs Minnesota Vikings
Chelsea vs Liverpool
Manchester City vs Bournemouth (more…)
Ultra Low-Cost Carrier Spirit Airlines Contemplates Some Frills, Including Wi-Fi
Spirit Airlines has earned a reputation for being thrifty when it comes to passenger experience, but to maintain its customer base and compete in the low-cost segment, the no-frills airline is exploring passenger-focused improvements.
IMG’s Sport 24 to Air Live NHL and World Cup of Hockey
Sport 24, the only 24/7 inflight sports channel, is to show extensive live coverage of both the National Hockey League (NHL) and the World Cup of Hockey 2016 on its two channels.
SAS to install ViaSat connectivity on short and medium-haul fleet
SAS is to install Viasat’s Ka-band inflight connectivity on its short and medium-haul fleet as part of a full cabin upgrade. By partnering with ViaSat, SAS will be able to offer onboard Wi-Fi speeds of 12 Mbps and higher to each passenger, with streaming TV, music and movies.
Sport 24 Coverage Schedule: September 9th – 12th
The 2016 – 2017 NFL season kicks off this week! If you’re flying an airline with Sport 24, you can watch all the action LIVE during your flight.
The big moments ahead:
Carolina Panthers vs Denver Broncos
Cincinnati Bengals vs New York Jets
New England Patriots vs Arizona Cardinals
Pittsburgh Steelers vs Washington Redskins
Brisbane Broncos vs Gold Coast Titans
Canberra Raiders vs Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks
Penrith Panthers vs Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs (more…)
Connect. Communicate. Discover.
Connect to Your World
Continue on with your connected life in-flight using your laptop or mobile device.
Communicate the Way You Want
Chat, post, email, text, tweet, call
or conference right from your
seat — at 30,000 feet.
Discover the Possibilities
Enjoy an in-flight experience where the things you live for come to life.