What Services Are Available?
Many of us remember the days when “in-flight entertainment” meant cracking open a good book, watching a movie on a small screen above the aisle, or simply counting sheep. Those days are long gone. Now, you can surf the Web, check your email, text your friends, watch live TV and, last but not least, call your mom – all from the comfort of your seat zooming along at 30,000 feet*.
Today’s in-flight connectivity services bring the experiences you enjoy every single day right to your laptop, tablet or smartphone when you fly. In a nutshell, these services make it easy to connect, communicate and discover a world of new experiences when you travel.
Let’s take a quick look at the services that are defining in-flight connectivity today.
Say goodbye to the days of feeling “disconnected” from the world when you fly. With a robust, high-speed Internet link, you can now connect to your online world using your laptop, smartphone, or tablet. It’s like having a super-fast Wi-Fi hotspot right at your seat.
- Keep in touch with friends and family via email, video conferencing or online chat – even at 30,000 feet!
- Surf the Web, watch videos, stream music, and hit all your favorite social media spots.
- Send and receive email – even with large attachments – so you can stay productive.
- Get real-time news and sports scores during your flight – not just when you land.
Never miss your favorite newscast or the big game again! Today’s in-flight entertainment delivers a variety of live broadcasts – including sports, business, and news – right to your seatback monitor, laptop, or mobile device. Now you can watch live sporting events and breaking news at the same time as your friends on the ground.
- Catch the big game live during your flight and watch the highlights unfold in real time.
- Stay current with live newscasts from global, national and regional news stations all over the world.
- Tune in to live business broadcasts so you can keep up with the speed of business.
Find out which channels are currently available: Channel Listings »
Many airlines also offer in-flight GSM/phone services that give you the power to use your personal phone, smartphone, or enabled tablet just as you would on the ground. While voice services are available in most regions across the globe, some airlines offer only limited service as an option. Today, they are being considered by the Federal Communications Commission for use in the United States.
In-flight GSM services operate over various satellite technologies, and may be available even if Wi-Fi is not. Passengers simply switch on their personal device which automatically connects directly to the on-board mobile phone network.
- Share your in-flight experience with friends via text and picture messages.
- Reach out to business colleagues so you can make the most of your time in the air.
- Make calls to anyone just as you would on the ground – no upfront payment or registration required!
- Remain “reachable” for loved ones in the event of an emergency back home.
*All in-flight connectivity services will only be available when the aircraft is at cruising altitude to comply with takeoff and landing regulations set forth by regional governing agencies.