Sport 24 Schedule: December 13th – 19th
Worried that you’ll be missing your favorite team playing while you’re in-flight this week? If you’ll be onboard one of these airlines offer Sport 24 you won’t miss a moment of the best sporting action.
Some of the matches you can watch in the week ahead:
Los Angeles Rams vs. Seattle Seahawks
New England Patriots vs. Denver Broncos
Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Cincinnati Bengals (more…)
Q3 Review: Global Inflight Connectivity
Compared to the first half of 2016, the third quarter saw a slowing of airlines launching new connectivity service, however we are happy to report that airlines already offering inflight connectivity continued to expand their routes as well as types of services available onboard.
It was exciting for us to see the number of airlines which offered live sports in-flight so their passengers could enjoy the Rio Olympics. The tweets posted while onboard were great!
New Launches: No new launches to report for Q3; so we’re still tracking the number of airlines around the world offering connectivity services at 64. We are, however, hoping for some new airlines to launch service in Q4 and will provide updates to our list as they happen.
- On July 13th, United Airlines launched their San Francisco (SFO) to Hangzhou (HGH) route on one of the world’s most advanced passenger aircraft, the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner. This 13 hour flight offers inflight Wi-Fi.
- Alitalia returned to China on July 18th with the re-launch of their Rome (FCO) to Beijing (PEK) route. Passengers can use Wi-Fi connectivity for phone calls, internet, e-mail, and more.
- Singapore Airlines added Johannesburg and Düsseldorf to their A350 offering on June 27th and July 21st. Wi-Fi and mobile phone services are available on board.
- Cathay Pacific Airways became the only airline to offer non-stop flights between London Gatwick Airport and Hong Kong. The A350-900 offers live TV and Wi-Fi on board.
- On September 1st, Aer Lingus launched their Dublin (DUB) to Newark (EWR) A330 route.
- Three airlines expanded their inflight entertainment offerings by adding live television service.
- AeroMexico re-launched live TV on their Boeing 787s. Channels include Sport 24 and CNN International.
- Virgin Atlantic also added live TV on their 787s. Passengers can enjoy Sport 24, BBC News, and CNN International.
- WestJet added Sport 24 and Sport 24 Extra to their already existing live TV service.
- Thai Airways welcomed their first Airbus A350 XWB in Bangkok in late August. In Mid-October, the A350 will begin its international service flying BKK > MEL with Wi-Fi available onboard.
- Hockey fans were excited to learn that live TV channel Sport 24 added the World Cup of Hockey and NHL to their coverage.
- iPass customers will be happy to learn that they have partnered with United Airlines to allow you Wi-Fi access using your account. This is schedule to start in Q4 of this year and expand to United’s fleet of more the 700 aircraft.
As we start the last quarter of 2016 we’ll continue to track the exciting expansion of the availability for passengers to stay connected in-flight as they travel around the world. Be sure to check back frequently, we’ll keep you updated on all the news for global inflight connectivity!
Finally, thanks to our online community of supporters, early in Q3 we reached the milestone of 300,000 Facebook likes. We couldn’t do it without you!
Q1 Review: Global Inflight Connectivity
Inflight connectivity around the world is growing at an increasingly fast pace. Exciting developments, and expansions, have already taken place this year! As part of our ongoing mission to keep you updated on the availability of inflight Wi-Fi, mobile services, and live television, we thought you’d appreciate a recap of what has happened so far in 2016.
Did you know that, as of March 31st, there are 62 airlines around the world offering passengers some type of onboard connectivity? If you’d like to see a list of these airlines it’s available – and frequently updated – on our website.
The first quarter saw several big announcements from airlines about their connectivity offerings. Here are some of the highlights:
- On February 29th, Swiss began offering inflight Wi-Fi and mobile services on board their Boeing 777 aircraft.
- Air Europa launched inflight Wi-Fi service on board 3 Airbus 330s and recently took delivery of a Boeing 787 equipped with the service. The airline plans to offer Wi-Fi on all long-haul A330 flights by June 2016.
- All Nippon Airways expanded their Wi-Fi and live TV offering to their domestic routes. The new service began on January 25th.
- On February 11th, American Airlines launched a new non-stop service from Los Angeles (LAX) to Tokyo (HND). Good news for passengers – Wi-Fi & live TV are available on board this 12 hour flight!
- China Eastern Airlines launched their new non-stop service from Chicago (ORD) to Shanghai (PVG) on March 18th. Wi-Fi is also available on board this flight.
- United Airlines began offering non-stop service from San Francisco (SFO) > Tel Aviv (TLV) on March 30th. Thankfully, this 14 hour flight offers inflight Wi-Fi.
- On March 31st, Garuda Indonesia launched a new route with live TV and Wi-Fi: Singapore (SIN) or Jakarta (CGK) > London (LHR).
- iPass Inc., the world’s largest Wi-Fi network, continues to expand its inflight internet access partnership to over 2,700 aircraft – allowing their customers to get online faster.
- Virgin America teamed up with LinkedIn’s Lynda to provide free access to online professional training courses on board Wi-Fi equipped flights. On the launch of the service, Richard Branson stated “I think there will be quite a few people who will [use it]…to learn [in-flight.]”
- Air Serbia announced on March 31st that all their Airbus aircraft now offer Wi-Fly service.
With more satellite launches and improved technology coming this year, passengers can look forward to faster and greater Wi-Fi coverage across the North Atlantic in 2016. Be sure to check back frequently, we’ll keep you updated on all the news for global inflight connectivity!
Inflight Connectivity Basics
Have you considered using inflight connectivity but you’re unsure how to use it, which airlines offer it, and when it’s available?
Here is some useful info to get you started:
- As of March 14th, 63 airlines offer some form of inflight connectivity.
- Wondering if Wi-Fi is available on your flight? Listen for crew announcements affirming that your flight is equipped with Wi-Fi.
- Inflight Wi-Fi works when an aircraft’s antenna makes a connection to either a satellite or an air-to-ground network. Satellite networks allow for passengers to enjoy connectivity over both land and water, while air-to-ground networks only work while flying over land. To learn more on “How It Works” check out our website.
- Does inflight connectivity work in “airplane mode?”. There are 2 correct answers: YES – inflight Wi-Fi can be used in airplane mode. NO – mobile services (such as texting, calling, and using mobile data) cannot be used in airplane mode.
- While some airlines now offer non-stop connectivity service gate-to-gate, others do not. If your airline does not offer gate-to-gate connectivity, the services will become available at certain altitudes. Be sure to listen for crew announcements or check for availability around 10,000 feet for Wi-Fi and 20,000ft for mobile service.
- Did you know that some airlines allow passengers to make mobile phone calls inflight? It’s true! If you have mobile service but can’t make calls, send a text “hello” from 35,000 feet or a picture of your view from the sky.
Now you have the inflight connectivity basics. If you have questions, tweet us or send us a message on Facebook.
Sport 24 Coverage Schedule: February 25th – March 2nd
Are you an NBA fan flying on an airline offering Sport 24? Good news, you can enjoy LIVE coverage from 35,000 ft in the sky!
The big moments ahead:
Washington Wizards vs Chicago Bulls
Oklahoma City Thunder vs New Orleans Pelicans
Golden State Warriors vs Oklahoma City Thunder
Cleveland Cavaliers vs Washington Wizards
Charlotte Hornets vs Atlanta Hawks
CKSA Moscow vs Khimki Moscow Region (more…)
2015 In-Flight Connectivity Year in Review
Each year brings exciting developments to the world of in-flight connectivity and 2015 was no different. As part of our ongoing mission to keep you updated on the availability of in-flight Wi-Fi, mobile services, and live television, we thought you’d appreciate a recap of what happened in 2015.
Did you know that, as of the end of 2015, there are 60 airlines around the world which offer passengers some type of onboard connectivity? If you’d like to see a list of these airlines it’s available – and frequently updated – on our website.
Eleven new airlines began offering some type of in-flight connectivity (Wi-Fi, mobile services, or live television) to passengers in 2015.
China, in particular, saw huge growth for in-flight Wi-Fi during 2015. In Q2 China Eastern Airlines became the first Chinese carrier to receive approval to provide Wi-Fi on both international and domestic flights. Their international service launched in mid-November. Keep a close eye on China as we expect to see a lot more growth during 2016!
There are a number of web sites which can help you in choosing a flight which will offer connectivity. In March of 2015 we were delighted to see the announcement that Google would be integrating Routehappy’s amenity data into Google Flights search results. In doing so, if you’re using Google Flights to plan your next trip you’ll be able to compare available amenities such as Wi-Fi and in-seat power.
If you’re a sports enthusiast then you were happy to see increases in both the number of airlines offering live sports as well as the types of events they’re broadcasting. Among the new entrants to airlines offering this service are Air Seychelles, Alitalia, Norwegian, and ANA. And what sporting events were passengers able to watch in flight? The variety of live sports available onboard included the Rugby World Cup, the NFL Super Bowl, FIFA Women’s World Cup, NBA, and the T20 Big Bash League.
Of course here at @Altitude we’re always looking for fun ways airlines and passengers are using their in-flight Wi-Fi. You’d be surprised by some the selfies people are tweeting! Here are a couple of our favorites from last year:
- In December, during the week before Christmas, Virgin Atlantic partnered with Microsoft to create “the world’s first connected gaming experience at 35,000ft” using in-flight Wi-Fi. Passengers on two flights used the Wi-Fi to participate in the #thankyoudeer experience, helping Santa Clause track down his missing reindeer in time for Christmas.
- It wasn’t a strictly in-flight connectivity event, but on September 17th we saw lots of in-flight social media post by passengers onboard and Aer Lingus flight from Dublin to New York. Those lucky passengers – and tweeted about! – a live performance by the Irish rock band Kodaline. It was fun to see passengers sharing the experience real-time from over the Atlantic!
And we can’t forget to thank our community on social media! In 2015 we saw almost 100% growth on Facebook. It’s great to know that so many people around the world are interested to learn about and use in-flight connectivity during their travels.
2015 was a great year for in-flight connectivity and we can wait to see what happens in 2016!
Enjoy the journey.
Want to share your experience using in-flight mobile services or Wi-Fi? Please add it below in the comments section. And if you’re on a connected flight be sure visit us on Twitter or Facebook to share the experience with the @Altitude community.
Sport 24 Schedule: December 17th – 23rd
Flying through the 23rd? If you’re on an airline with Sport 24 you’ll have the chance to watch T20 Big Bash League, NBA, Barclays Premier League, NFL, Bundesliga, or the Eurpoean Rugby Champions Cup.
T20 Big Bash Cricket
Sydney Thunder vs. Sydney Sixers
Brisbane Heat vs. Melbourne Renegades
Perth Scorchers vs. Adelaide Strikers
Melbourne Renegades vs. Sydney Sixers
Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Cleveland Cavaliers
Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs
Los Angeles Lakers vs. Oklahoma
Dallas Mavericks vs. Toronto Raptors
Barclays Premier League (more…)
How to Make the Most of Holiday Travel with In-flight Wi-Fi
The holiday season is upon us once again and many of us will be traveling domestically or internationally over the next few weeks to visit family and friends. It can be a hectic time of year, but there’s no reason you can’t lessen your stress and have some fun with in-flight Wi-Fi. To help you out along your journey we’ve got some tips for you.
Prior to travel:
There are a couple of online resources you can use to check for Wi-Fi on your flights. Two web sites that we recommend are routehappy and SeatGuru. Using your airline and flight number you can search for the amenities available on your flight.
Routehappy provides a “happiness” rating based on passengers reviews. Included in their flight data is a Wi-Fi icon which indicates if flights offer this service. Other sites including Google Flights, Expedia, and Kayak also incorporate routehappy’s amenity data into their search information.
SeatGuru provides comprehensive data on just about everything on board the aircraft – from detailed seat map with seat quality to type of in-flight entertainment to availability of in-flight connectivity and in-seat power. On the home screen of their site there are entry fields for airline, fight number, and the date of your flight, just enter the data and you’ll quickly find out whether you can be connected during your flight.
Once you’ve confirmed that you’ll have Wi-Fi you’ll want to take that into consideration for packing your carry-on bags. Be sure to include your Wi-Fi enabled device (smartphone, table, laptop), charging cords for in-seat power, power banks, and travel adaptor if you’re flying internationally.
At the airport:
While waiting in the terminal for your flight to board there are things to do to prepare for your in-flight experience.
• Disable automatic updates and backup features
• Configure your email setting to download on request
• Download any apps or files you’ll want to use during your flight
You’re finally in the air and on your way to see your family and friends. Looking for ways to entertain yourself or be productive?
During your flight you’ve got lots of time to surf the web and have some fun. Check out your favorite shopping sites in case there are last minute gifts you still need to get. Change your car rental, make dinner reservations, or order flowers as a hostess gift for a holiday party. You can even go online to your cable company to pay that bill you forgot in the flurry of holiday activity.
If you can’t stand to be disconnected from social media, update your Facebook status to let your loved ones know that you are on your way to see them. If you like to take selfies why don’t you tweet one with the #AltitudeConnect hash tag? We’d love to read about your experience using in-flight Wi-Fi!
Worried about being away from work for two weeks? Log in to your email and clear out your inbox. There’s no need to stress out over last minute emergencies at the office. You might even impress your boss for being productive during your holiday.
Where ever your holiday travel takes you this season we wish you a safe flight and a wonderful time with family and friends!
Sport 24 Coverage Schedule: November 26th – December 1st
This week is one of the busiest travel weeks for the United States. For all those passengers who will be traveling this week, Sport 24 has a jam-packed line-up to keep them entertained in-flight!
The big moments ahead:
Memphis Grizzlies vs Houston Rockets
Chicago Bulls vs Indiana Pacers
Atlanta Hawks vs San Antonio Spurs
Philadelphia Eagles vs Detroit Lions
Carolina Panthers vs Dallas Cowboys
Chicago Bears vs Green Bay Packers (more…)
Sport 24 Coverage Schedule: November 19th – 25th
Wondering which in-flight entertainment options are available on your upcoming flight this week? If you’re flying on an airline with Sport 24, watch the NFL, NBA, Premier League, ATP Tennis, and more!
The big moments ahead:
Tennessee Titans vs Jacksonville Jaguars
Washington Redskins vs Carolina Panthers
Green Bay Packers vs Minnesota Vikings
Cincinnati Bengals vs Arizona Cardinals
Buffalo Bills vs New England Patriots
Watford vs Manchester United
Chelsea vs Norwich City (more…)
Connect. Communicate. Discover.
Connect to Your World
Continue on with your connected life in-flight using your laptop or mobile device.
Communicate the Way You Want
Chat, post, email, text, tweet, call
or conference right from your
seat — at 30,000 feet.
Discover the Possibilities
Enjoy an in-flight experience where the things you live for come to life.